Friday, June 29, 2012

Hosh Thermo Cooker

Thermo cooking was first introduced to me by my kumpare around 10 years ago, and I've been quite amazed at the tender meat texture of dishes that are thermo-cooked.  The process involves placing a boiling pot of semi-cooked food inside an insulated cooker that retains the heat up to 8-10 hours in order to complete the cooking process at lower heat levels, albeit using longer cooking times.  In this manner, one can save energy costs, as the flame time of cooking is considerably much less.  In addition, the slow cooking process makes meat literally fall off from the bone!  Of course, the down side of this is that cooking must be planned in advance, and instant dishes are not quite achievable.  As far as I know, the high-end brands that have thermo-cookers like Tiger, Aladdin-Thermos and Imarflex only carry small sizes (2-3 liters) which can cost anywhere from P5k to P12k, so when I saw the 5.5 liter model of Hosh in SM, I pounced on the product without any hesitation.  To my further surprise, the item was on sale!  So I went home with my thermo-cooker, shown above, with only a P1,900 cash out--pretty cool, huh?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, planning to buy as well.. is the quality of hosh okay? knowing that this is a new brand.

richric2003 said...

Hi there! I can say that Hosh cooks well with me, worth the P1,900 I spent. I compared notes with a friend who has a Tiger cooker. Admittedly, the Tiger cooker seems to retain more heat after 8-10 hours--probably has better insulation and is thus more efficient. However, my friend spent something like P10k for his cooker and I just spent P1,900. Even if Tiger is say 20% more efficient, it's almost 5 times the price. The Hosh cooker is made of stainless steel and is quite sturdy, so I guess it'll last at least around 10 years on average use. Good enough for me.