Friday, March 9, 2012

Cafe Via Mare

Chef Glenda Barrretto's Cafe Via Mare has been a long-time Manila favorite since the seventies.  The restaurant was introduced to me by Vicky in the eighties and I have marveled at how constant the cooking quality has been kept over these years.  At a merienda meeting yesterday, I had bibingka (rice cakes topped with shredded coconut meat, salted duck eggs and cheese) and ginataan (a delicious mix of bananas, camote, ube, and sago, all cooked in coconut creme).  Snack time has always been this yummy at Via Mare, and at very reasonable prices--we spent something like P150 per head!  The restaurant also serves Filipino favorites for lunch and dinner (I particularly enjoy the kare-kare).  Their sister restaurant, Via Mare Oyster Bar, is a great place to spend happy hour sundowns, as oysters (both raw and cooked) go absolutely great with some types of alcohol drinks--and this duo combination just makes me indulge in one of my favorite pastimes!


1 comment:

anna banana said...

I love their dinuguan and the sago gulaman :) yum...