Friday, July 1, 2011

The Tower Club (Republic Plaza)

I've been invited several times to the the Manila branch of the Tower Club at the Philamlife Tower along Paseo de Roxas, and I've been quite happy with the ambiance, the food and the service.  When I was invited to lunch at the Singapore branch of the Tower Club at Republic Plaza, I was pleasantly delighted that in addition to enjoying the refined ambiance, the excellent food and the impeccable service expected of a Tower Club, I was treated to a wonderful view of Singapore.  Located at the 64th Floor, I could see the Sky Park of the Marina Bay Sands, and the view extended out, almost to Changi Airport.  It was quite refreshing, and I would pause in between servings in order to admire the view.  I was lucky that the weather, which had been cloudy in the early morning, was sunny and bright, and the vista was quite awesome.  This was the same thrill that I had experienced sitting atop the World Trade Center, looking down at the Statue of Liberty.  The food we had was well prepared, and I particularly will remember the oyster, cooked Chinese-style in soy sauce, as the oyster meat was as large as a computer mouse but was particularly tender and easy to chew.  The sharks fin soup was tasty and was exactly the right texture.  The main course of lamb was tender and grilled just right--fully cooked but still juicy.  I picked lychee sorbet from their dessert menu, and the presentation was interesting, as the sherbet cup came atop a bowl of colored water with dry ice, creating a mist-effect.  We started lunch at noon, but as the meal was served one course after another, we ended at 2:30pm!

No comments: