Monday, October 8, 2012

Balut

It's a hard-boiled duck egg.  When anyone asks for an explanation, it's as simple as that.  Oh, I forgot to tell you that the duck egg has an embryo inside.  It's called "Balut." Tim Cameron puts it on the list of the 6 Most Terrifying Food in the World.  It's a common challenge in Fear Factor.  They say you can't eat it on an empty stomach because it's got too much protein, and after regularly eating this on an empty stomach, the protein build-up can cause lactose intolerance.  Zac Efron, the Hollywood heartthrob, had a couple of these babies a few weeks ago, and inadvertently, has somehow become the Brand Ambassador for the promotion of the egg.  I bought a dozen the other night and took it to the Raider's Club, where it was gone in 60 seconds.  I owe it all to my older cousin, Manong Peter, who taught me the art of consuming this (serve hot, crack on the wide end, use a flick of the wrist, and don't forget the salt).  I will forever recall those countless nights where Kong, Gwammy, Mikaela, Erika, Anita and I would gather round to have this delicious midnight snack.  I remember Erika would even ask for the extra hardened white ends.  She loved it very much.  We all did, and it's a shame we can't take more these days (cholesterol-watching).  P18 each, available throughout the Metro.


No comments: