Monday, October 15, 2012

Pipo M1 Tablet


It seems that I'm a true spur of the moment buyer--I was browsing and looking at some gadgets in Virra Mall Greenhills and I came across the M1 tablet, which is made by Pipo, a Taiwanese brand with manufacturing facilities in China.  I was immediately impressed with the tablet's specs-- 9.7" screen, 1.6 ghz dual core Rockchip processor, 1 gb RAM, 16 gb internal flash, front and back camera (2MP each), capacitive touchscreen, accepts external SD flash up to 32 gb, and runs on Android Jelly Bean.  At P10k, this is definitely a cheap alternative to the iPad, so I picked it up, just like that!  It's quite light (around 700 grams, I'd say), and the casing that I got is black metallic, which is much sturdier than the cheaper Chinese Android brands (P7,500 level) which use plastic casings.  Previously, I was looking at a Huawei tablet (with SIM slot) at around P14k, but that was only clocking at 1 ghz while running Android Gingerbread; it was more expensive and I didn't really need the phone function.  The built-in Jelly Bean of the M1 was thus an instant attraction for me.  As a bonus, the M1 comes with a built-in screen protector (of course you can peel this off if you want).  The unit has USB and HDMI ports, the wi-fi receiver is pretty sensitive even with faint signals, and the screen is very clear (while specs are at 1024 x 768, it's still not as clear as the Retina display, but it's quite close).  The battery is supposed to be rated at 8,000 MAh (6-8 hours on average use); I haven't used it that much though to comment on battery life.  I used it watching 2 movies (roughly 4 hours) and battery dropped to 30%, which is not bad, but not great either.  Drawbacks--it's got only one side speaker (stereo model is the M2), so you have to use headphones to get the stereo effect.  Also, there is no local tech support & warranty (this is Greenhills, after all).  Well, I've been a techie gambler, since the days of the Sharp BASIC programmable, the Commodore Vic-20 and the Atari console, and I think that's part of the fun!


No comments: