Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Kowloon House


Kowloon House has been a long time favorite of the family for fast and simple Chinese cuisine since the late seventies.  The restaurant's branch along West Avenue was the regular venue of choice for birthday celebrations and graduation parties.  Operated by the Ng family, the restaurant was sister to Aberdeen Court and Imperial Jade, and was the forerunner of inexpensive family-style lauriat set meals, which set a given price for certain food combinations for a table of 10 to 12 persons.  I haven't been to Kowloon House for some ten years now, and as I was about to visit the 9th Hi-Fi Exposition at the Dusit Thani Hotel in Makati, I parked at Park Square I car park, right where the Kowloon House dimsum counter is located.  My mouth started to water!  Their siopao was something that Vicky and I would eat late at night or early in the morning (this store used to operate 24/7) after a long night out of partying & clubbing.  I just had to go back--not bad at all, prices have been kept to reasonable levels, 2 pork asado siopaos cost me P60!  The buns were steamed well, and the asado flavoring was still based on the same old recipe that we had gotten used to.  Yes, here's a toast to good memories...