Friday, July 1, 2011

Long Beach

My Singaporean friends told me that there are three truly Singaporean foods that must not be missed:  1) Hainanese Chicken Rice (which I've enjoyed at both Suntec City and Changi Terminal),  2) Char Kway Tyow (which I had at Marina Bay Sands food court) and 3) Black Pepper Crabs.  I was lucky that my hosts this trip learned that I have not yet tried Singaporean Black Pepper Crabs and as such, they brought me to Long Beach restaurant (East Coast Branch), which created the original recipe 65 years ago.  I was not disappointed.  The crab we had was just the right size for me--1.2 kilograms, and this was very very tasty.  We also had sweet chili crabs, but I found that the Black Pepper Crabs to be more to my liking.  I understand that the restaurant imports the crabs from both Malaysia and Australia, and that the dish has an international following due to its delicious taste.  When in Singapore, be sure to try this!  Great!

No comments: