Monday, December 12, 2011

Krispy Kreme

I first encountered Krispy Kreme around 10 years ago, when Mikaela came back from Los Angeles with several cartons of the doughnut.  At that time, I was simply amazed at how she managed to hand-carry the stuff all the way from the United States--and I asked her why she took all the trouble to do so.  Her answer was that she wanted us to taste the product, as it remained soft and delicious even if left at room temperature for several days.


Around 5 years back, I understand that Max's Fried Chicken Restaurant was able to negotiate the Philippine master franchise, and today, there are several Krispy Kreme stores all over the country (11 at last count).  I understand that Krispy Kreme executives approved the franchise when they realized that visiting Filipinos would bring boxes back home to the Philippines as pasalubong (exactly like my sister)!  Doughnuts are soft but some versions are slightly too sweet for my taste.  I had a meeting at one of their branches with some colleagues last week, so I had my original glazed with black coffee and it was just right!  Doughnuts come to somewhere between P25 - P45 each, depending on the variety and if you purchase by piece or by the dozen (come out much cheaper).


No comments: