Monday, September 17, 2012

Melo's


Melo's Steak House has been around since the late eighties, and I distinctly remember raving about the food during their initial foray as Gold Ranch (at the corner of Paseo de Roxas and Pasay Road).  I had a business dinner at their branch at Burgos Circle at the Fort Global City, and we started off with my favorites, oysters, gambas and tomato soup!






The oysters were nicely served three different ways (blanched, with spinach, and with cheese), and I was lucky to pick up the plump pieces.  I would have enjoyed the shrimps better if the dish had a little more spice to it; while I am not a spicy eater, gambas needs a little oomph, or it would just be garlic shrimps, right?



While the restaurant is known for serving the Certified Angus Beef brand, we chose the Wagyu line--my friend had a porterhouse while I had a rib-eye.  I don't remember the exact grade of the beef (probably a 7 or 8), but the meat was soft and marbly, salted just right.  I asked for black-pink cooking (the restaurant staff refer to it as Oklahoma style); what I got was close to it but not exactly what I had expected (I wanted the edges charred a bit more).


Dessert was a token scoop of chocolate ice cream (I think this came free with the steak).  When you enter the restaurant the lighting is a bit on the dim side, so it takes a few seconds for your eyes to adjust.  Hmmm... probably designed more for romantic moonlit dinners rather than business meetings!  Our bill came close to P5,000, so that puts the average food check at around P2,500 per head.  Well, Wagyu is great only in moderation, I don't think my cholesterol level can take the more of that yummy marbled beef!




No comments: