Sunday, August 19, 2012

Dryer's

Dreyer's has been available in the Philippines since the middle eighties in very small import quantities.  I remember that Gwammy and I bought some when this brand was first introduced, but the popularity didn't last long, probably because of the limited and erratic supply.  I see this in very limited quantities in some supermarkets like S&R, but it's not really sold in widespread areas.  Founded in 1928 under its pre-cursor, Edy's Grand Ice Cream, the Northern California brand is known for having invented Rocky Road flavor.  I was lucky that Erika also a bought a tub of this in Wellcome, since the cookie dough fiasco left me a bit unsettled and craving for some dessert.  I liked the firm texture of the brand (no air bubbles) and the rich flavor of the vanilla (yes, the chocolate chips did not overpower the vanilla).  I understand that Nestle bought the brand around ten years ago; but unfortunately, I do not think Nestle will bring in the brand locally, probably due to the thin profit margins for high-end ice cream.


1 comment:

anna banana said...

Speaking of high end ice cream...Haagen Dazs is closing / pulling out locally?!