Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Vita Coco

This new product was introduced to me by Becca, and is a coconut water in a tetra brik.  Technology nowadays is simply amazing, and beverage preservation techniques are also in abundance.  I understand that coconut water has a very short shelf life--if you will note, coconut water beverages packed in PET bottles like Lipa are always kept in 3-4 degrees centigrade, and even then, the shelf life is only a few days tops.  I think that there must be some method of screening out the bacteria that starts the fermentation process, and that Vita Coco has been able to do so, by either pasteurization or filtration.  As with the canned brands, however, the taste of the coconut water is not nearly the same as fresh buko juice--I still rank near-frozen bottled buko juice as the best tasting commercially available one.  The canned and the tetra brik brands, however, make buko juice available anywhere, anytime.  It's a trade-off, I guess.


No comments: