Thursday, October 4, 2012

Quick Snack by Tjioe


Erika hosted a jumbo party over the weekend, and aside from the birthdays of October celebrants, we also remembered the wedding anniversary of Kong and Gwammy.  We had a feast!  Tjioe, the catering arm of the Quick Snack group (operating out of Binondo) provided some of our well-loved favorites:

Chicken Tim
Garlic Gindara (codfish)

Butterfly shrimps

Sauteed scallops, broccoli and lychee

Cuapao pork filling

Mantou bread for the cuapao

Cha misua (rice noodles)

Kiampung (Chinese Paella)

Crispy fried chicken

Quick Snack has been around since the early seventies, sixties even, but I've never tried eating at this hole-in-the-wall in Carvajal St.  I understand from my sister that they have since branched out into the catering scene (I think they are accredited at the Blue Leaf too), and that their pricing has been quite reasonable.  I liked the way they cooked the Gindara and  the shrimps, not too overpowering with the seasoning, but still flavorful for me to go back for a second round.  I was looking forward to the sauteed scallops, but this was one dish that I felt a bit disappointed--I didn't realize that they had mixed some lychees into the equation.  I don't like sweet dishes and mistook the lychees for scallops!


Tiramisu

Strawberry Panna Cotta

I like my sweets at the end of the meal, so the dessert spread was fine with me.  While the tiramisu was okay, it was the strawberry panna cotta that really made my day!  Creamy and flavorful, not too sweet, I was amazed at how this caterer specializing in Chinese food came out with such a good Italian dessert.


No comments: