Saturday, November 12, 2011

Mandragore

Vicky and I wandered about the Rustan's shop in Makati and we were lucky enough to rediscover this wonderful unisex EDT by Annick Goutal, the concert pianist turned perfumer.  Mandragore (or Mandrake) is a root that has been historically used as the "magical root" with medicinal (curing sexual impotence) and oftentimes hallucinogenic uses.  I was previously of the impression that this root is sparingly used in perfumery, however, in this case, Annick Goutal makes another magical symphony and I particularly like the spicy notes that cling onto my nasal passageways and linger as a sharp awakening sensation in my mind-- very frank in denoting desire and promoting passion!  Reading the label, I somehow remembered the 1930s comic strip Mandrake the Magician, and somehow, catching a whiff of this lovely scent has taken me back to a more elegant and magical time!

No comments: