Saturday, November 26, 2011

Sesame Street


Back in Fairview, I was busy rummaging through my old stuff when I came across a cassette tape of Sesame Street!  Yes, I bought one of these albums many years ago, and I let loose several chuckles looking at the playlist.  Memories automatically came in, fast-flooding my brain with all the fun clips and tunes from that most-loved educational kiddie TV show.  Even now, as I write this blog entry, I'm humming Kermit D. Frog's version of "Green," one of those meaning-of-life songs that are both  melancholy and uplifting at the same time.  I myself didn't watch Sesame Street to learn (I was a bit too old for that), but I remember Anella was glued to it, and I sometime sat with her watching the show.  Who can forget those characters?  Oscar the Grouch, Ernie & Bert, Big Bird, Cookie Monster, The Count, Elmo...  Probably too numerous to mention all of them, but I'm sure most of you have some idea of who they are.  Jim Henson's muppets gave so much life into that show, and the human characters (don't even remember the actor's names), made educational TV so enjoyable.  I don't know why the show was pulled off the air (I don't think they had poor viewership), but sadly, even good things come to an end.  Many thanks to the Children's Television Workshop, which produced the show, we all loved and enjoyed it!


2 comments:

anna banana said...

i love sesame street!! do you remember my oscar the grouch t-shirt??? Oscar and Ernie are my favorites. cranky and pilyo... that's me! And i have my sesame st. casette tape still!! I still hum rubber ducky in the shower every now and then. And oscar's I love trash is the best when cleaning out junk! And when i'm sad, i sing Somebody come and play with me... and the other songs on the show - Said the alligator king to his seven sons.... I used to play it (the cassette) for the kids when they were smaller and music was enough. Its sad that they're not too fond of the show, maybe because elmo has a hi-pitched voice. They enjoy ernie and bert's short adventures on playhouse disney though. Sayang, they don't know gifu-gifu gonk-gonk (cooperation!) I always say i learned how to speak English from Sesame Street. its True! I could go on and on about my sesame street memories. obviously...:)

richric2003 said...

Hahaha! I love the cooperation clip--but it went "giffle giffle gonk gonk" di ba? Hahahaha! Yup, those were the days!