Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Midas Hotel




Had a business meeting at the Midas Hotel along Roxas Boulevard the other day.  Located very near the EDSA intersection, this hotel was originally a Sheraton, then it became a Savoy, and was a Hyatt for the longest time.  As far back as the early seventies, I remember attending Christmas parties of Kong Kong's office at this hotel.  Furthermore, Vicky and I have such fond memories here--this is where we booked a room for our wedding event!  From what I gather, after a series of labor strikes, then owner Jose Mari Chan (the sugar trader and singer) decided to close the hotel and offer the place up for sale.  I understand the current owners of the hotel also own the famed Misibis Bay Resort in Bicol, and for Midas, they have chosen the Genesis group as the hotel managers.  The feel of the hotel has been totally modernized, and I had a sad longing for the Calesa Bar which no longer exists.  I spent many a night just listening to crooners, jazz vocalists and show bands there.




The lobby lounge is now filled with orange boxes as a tribute to the boxes popularized by luxury brand Hermes.  I think I saw a ladies bag encased in one of their lobby shelves!




The buffet spread at the 2nd floor Midas Cafe is pretty interesting, and the interiors have been spruced up to make use of natural light.  Buffet costs something like P1,400 per head.



No comments: