Saturday, February 11, 2012

Buto't Balat


Going around Iloilo was a pleasant surprise for me--I was simply amazed at all the beautiful old houses, and the wealth of history that the city delivers!  During my last trip to the area in 2009, I had to set out for the town of Guimbal, which was about an hour away, so I didn't have much time to see the city sights.  My first trip there was almost two decades ago, so the beauty of the city sights were but a blur in my head.  This trip was an eye-opener--the architecture of both government buildings and private ancestral homes brought in images of elegance and Filipino heritage at its finest.


Lunch at Buto't Balat restaurant was a special treat for me--we had our fill of fresh oysters!  We also ordered baked oysters topped with cheese, crunchy eggplant, beef sinigang, grilled fish and fresh buko juice, which made us quite full at about P250 per head.  I understand this restaurant has a few branches around town, and the fresh wind and the rustic ambiance just made me want to linger with a cold bottle of beer in my hand!  I wondered why the restaurant name was Buto't Balat (literally "skin & bones," a term attached to malnourished children), and I was made to understand that because the fish is cooked is so well, the only things left on your plate would be the skin & bones of the fish!





No comments: