Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Roca Buttercrunch

The Roca Buttercrunch sometimes gets to be a conundrum--you either love em or you hate em!  Cousin Gene dropped off the box shown left in Gwammy's place and the clan gathered together over the weekend to unceremoniously open the box.  The original flavor developed by Brown and Haley (incorporated in 1914) was the Almond Roca, and this was a log-shaped chocolate candy with butter and chopped almonds.  It was packaged in a distinctive pink tin can and as such, was regularly exported around the world.  Today the candy has several different other flavors like peanuts, macadamia, cashew and coffee.  I remember the first time I tried this was when someone gifted Erica with a tin can back in the late seventies--I found the candy to be too gooey for my taste!  I didn't quite like the way my teeth kept sticking to each other while eating the candy, as this felt quite uncomfortable especially since my gums were sore from wearing retainers all night long.  It was a good thing that I later on learned to refrain from chewing the candy directly, and now that I can manage my bite, it seems that this is a good dessert to have around the house!




No comments: