Friday, July 20, 2012

DZFE

DZFE on 98.7 mhz has been the sole classical FM music station in Metro Manila for  many years now.  Run by the Far East Broadcasting Company, this station is also a Christian gospel station--its monicker "The Master's Touch" is in reference to both the Divine and the master composers whose music the station plays.  I was driving along EDSA the other day, and tired of the long traffic lines, I tuned in for some soothing quartet music.  At the end of the piece, I was especially impressed with the announcer's clear description of what it was all about--the song title, the composer's name, the music at the time the piece was written, how the composer drew inspiration for the music, and some comparison with the music of the era.  I don't remember exactly what the piece was, but I remember that the station had put a lot of thought into describing the music and explaining the background of how the music came to be.  This approach definitely paves the way for a clear appreciation of classical music; I just wish that the DJs of pop stations would take the same painstaking care in dishing out their brand of music to the public.

No comments: