Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Va Bene


The gasoline station today is pretty much no longer the gasoline station of years past.  The Petron gasoline station at the corner of EDSA and Pasay Road is a case in point--shops, restaurants, dental clinics and laundromats have made the gasoline station a mini-mall.  Not a bad place for Chef Massimo of Manila Pen's Old Manila to put up his own pasta restaurant--Va Bene, meaning Quite Good!  Vicky and I had the opportunity to eat there with a couple of old office mates on a weeknight, and we were happy to get a table immediately--I heard that on Friday and Saturday nights, the waiting line is quite long.


I liked the interiors of the restaurant immediately.  Quite informal, cozy yet elegant, the use of bright colors and cookbooks made me feel that the restaurant was a statement of Chef Massimo's personality (it probably is).  I was told that uncooked pasta was available for sale, and I was already trying to figure out how to make my own version of their pasta sauces.






The tomato dip was a welcome treat--I sat down a hungry man and started to munch on the toasted bread even before the rest came in (I arrived first).  As our orders came in, I was delighted with the aromas that came to greet me--the tagliolini was made with portobello mushrooms and had a white wine cream sauce, and the light hint of truffle oil made my mouth want more.  The potato gnocchi had a gorgonzola based sauce, it was not bad at all (as a rule though, I prefer long pasta over gnocchi and ravioli).  The tomato-based seafood linguini was another exquisite surprise (I understand that they make their own pasta, which accounts for the sensational bite).  Last on our order list was some pizza slices; these however were ordinary and I would much rather take the pasta, which is the specialty of the restaurant.  As the dinner was the treat of our friend, I didn't get to see the total bill, but my guess would be an average spend of P600 for a pasta meal, and maybe P1,200 for a full course event.

No comments: