Sunday, August 19, 2012

Tony Bennett

There are some vocal artists that give me sheer pleasure just to listen to.  Tony Bennett is one of those artists.  Currently 86 years old, the man makes such great music that every time I hear his signature song I Left My Heart In San Francisco, I stop and close my eyes.  My other favorites--If I Ruled the World, and Song of the Jet Set (Rio de Janeiro)!  His Duets collection (volume 1 came out in 2006 and volume 2 came out last year) are very soothing to listen to, you can hear the clarity and feel the phrasing of his words even at his advanced age.  Note that he makes "oldies" music with a much younger generation (e.g. James Taylor, Barbra Streisand, Sting, Bono, Lady Gaga, KD Lang, Diana Krall, among others); it's just like he is passing the torch to the new crop of artists who, despite their coming from different musical backgrounds, still do not fail to pay respect to the American musical classics.  Make more good music, Tony Bennett!

No comments: