Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tower Club

I arrived almost 45 minutes early for my meeting at the Tower Club atop the Philamlife Building in Paseo de Roxas.  While I've been to the place many times before (for lunch, dinner or boardroom meetings), I never noticed that there were quiet study nooks (pictured above) to rest and relax in.  I simply sat in one of these nooks, taking time to enjoy the view of Ugarte Field (Sebastian Ugarte was an executive of the Soriano Corporation during WWII) and the Makati Stock Exchange.  I took in the view, transfixed at the sight of the new Zuellig Building and I was amazed at how Makati has evolved over the years.  I distinctly remember listening to Enrique Zobel in the late eighties discuss the accelerated growth, and how the founders of Makati had not expected the kind of growth--they built Makati to house a population density based on a Floor-Area Ratio of something like 10, but it would seem that the present day FAR is already pushing 14.  Looking at the hustle and bustle of life in the CBD from a top view, it was truly a pleasure to relax at the Tower Club, albeit for merely 45 minutes!


No comments: