Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sinag

I pulled out some old bars of soap this morning and somehow, my thoughts drifted off to that time in the mid-eighties when my sister Erica went into the production and marketing of "Sinag," her homemade laundry soap!  Yes, I remember it distinctly, she used our household laundry tubs for mixing the ingredients, and after a few experimental runs, she was able to get the right texture, decent cleaning power and even a great scent from her creation!  She stacked a lot of these 5-galloon cans of cooking oil in our laundry area, and I would come home to find both Erica & Michaela toiling in the middle of daily production runs, which went on for a few months.  Erica even had a label stamper made in Divisoria, and when the soap started to cake, she would stamp the brand "Sinag" onto the bar.  I don't even know if she was able to make money on all her hard work, and now that I look back, I think gaining experience and having fun was the motivation for all that jazz.... Hahaha!

1 comment:

anna banana said...

wasn't it gellie who did all the manufacturing after they perfected the formula? she stopped making when the lye gave her the itchies...

In fairness, i used to use Sinag to wash dirty rags and it did a better job than the more famous laundry detergents / bars.