Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dr. Kaufmann's Sulfur Soap

The most common comment about using this soap is that it stinks to high heavens!  Yes, the active ingredients sulfur and zinc oxide are the culprits, and the smell comes across like rotten hard-boiled eggs.  Whew!  Gwammy taught us to use this soap when we were kids, and while we initially found the smell strange, we are now able to tolerate the smell.  The secret of the soap is that the active ingredients are known disinfectants, and bacteria, fungus and mild parasitic infections are efficiently washed off.  For teen-agers in the seventies, this was a common anti-acne soap, and I understand that even up to this day, a lot of teens turn to this soap to combat the zit plague!  During my younger days when I would travel using public transportation, I'd used the soap as a staple germicide whenever I'd wade through flooded streets.  Nowadays, I use it on a regular basis for my daily bath.  One of the secrets to using the soap is to let the soap suds stay on one's skin for about 5-10 minutes in order to completely kill surface germs.  The usual comment, however, is that the length of time makes the skin dry, so I guess some balance is needed dependent on one's skin type.

6 comments:

anna banana said...

do you remember that blue Neko soap that gwam used to let us use also? I think this replace dr kaufmann for me because i dont remember using dr kaufmann...

richric2003 said...

Yes, Neko soap! I can't forget that deep dark blue bar of germicidal soap that would be stored right at Gwammy's bathroom window sill... right next to the bar of sulfur soap, if I might add...

richric2003 said...

I checked some websites--I understand that Neko soap was taken off the US market because it contained mercuric oxide, a poison. Well, so much for that...

Cyrus John Arnaiz said...

Well,Being teenagers means we are prone to these unwanted derma problems.Would I use Dr.S wong Sulfur Soap or Dr.Kaufmann?

Anonymous said...

Maganda naman pareho, mas effective dr kaufman pero mas mabango kasi ung dr wong na puti saka may moisturizer pa.

Unknown said...

What is better to use dr wong or this dr kaufmann soap?