Thursday, October 13, 2011

Manila Pen

Had a fast business meeting at the lobby of the Manila Peninsula today.  I was a bit early and found myself gazing at the sun sculpture adorning the ceiling.  Was it a Castrillo?  I don't recall now.  But I do recall the numerous fun visits to this hotel, and the hours spent meeting business associates in this very lobby.  It's been 37 years since this hotel opened, in time for the 1974 conference of the International Monetary Fund, and I can still recall the first few times that I stepped into the lobby--I felt a sense of grandeur.  The coffee shop was originally a Swiss Chalet, at one point the management called it the Neilsen Cafe (in honor of the Neilsen Airport Tower across the road), and now it is known as Escolta, aptly named for its Filipino sense of style.  In the seventies and eighties, the lobby area was the place to see and be seen--airy, bright, and welcoming.  Today's delight was the hot chocolate I enjoyed--thick, very delicious, although a tad sweet.  Nice to pair up with a little reminiscing...

1 comment:

anna banana said...

sunburst ceiling is by napoleon abueva. if you will talk about Mla Pen you must mention the ice cream at the lobby.... Pen Pals is it? 10 scoops! yummmy. Their Asian resto - Spices is pretty good. I remember the naan to be yummy. :)