Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tropical Hut

This is one burger house that has been around since I can remember.  Originally it was called Azcona's Burgers (the family name of the owner), and the store was located along Quezon Boulevard, right at the ground floor of the family's grocery store called Tropical Hut.  The burger house was located at the right side of the entrance door, while the Kobe Chicken rotisserie was located at the left side.  We simply loved their hamburgers, so juicy, so tender to the bite, so aromatic!  The burgers were always wrapped in aluminum foil, a tradition that they still carry on to this day.  Sometime the late seventies, the owners renamed the restaurant to Tropical Hut, to mirror the name of the grocery.  Nowadays, the brand is known more as a domestic burger chain than as a grocery and retail outlet.  Such wonderful memories--Kong Kong would bring Mikaela, Erika & myself there to eat, right after we'd complete our grocery runs.  I can still remember that when Martial Law was declared, Kong was working abroad (he was one of the original OFWs) and Gwammy was ordered by the doctors to have complete bed rest, as her pregnancy with Anita was in quite a precarious situation).  Accompanied by Mang Naring (our family driver) and I then had to go to Tropical Hut to buy food and groceries, but alas, the shelves were literally cleaned out.  Remember, people were panic-buying at that time!  I looked at Tropical Hut and asked Mang Naring if we could buy burgers, but the restaurant was also closed--my heart fell!  Anyway, today Anita & I shared at Double Patty Burger, so tasty and yet quite inexpensive--P115 only!  Both of us walked out of the restaurant with contented smiles, and as I flick back to access my memory banks, I think the aroma of Tropical Hut hamburgers will really bring back such wonderful childhood memories!  Thanks, Tropical Hut!



2 comments:

anna banana said...

Childhood Favorite!!

http://annabanana101.multiply.com/reviews/item/34

Sam said...

I love the double patty cheeseburger!Craving for one now...