Friday, October 14, 2011

Hungry Hippo

I first encountered this burger joint many years ago in the early nineties, and if I'm not mistaken one of their first branches that became well-known was along either the North Diversion Road or somewhere on South Super Highway (that was the time before the bureaucrats coined the abbreviated "NLEX" and "SLEX").  I can remember that there was usually a long line of customers waiting to get their hamburgers, but the aroma flowing out of the restaurant was very inviting that people didn't mind the long wait.  A few years back, I had several opportunities to eat at their branch located at the Shell Building along Valero St. in Salcedo Village, but to my dismay, that branch closed sometime 2008.  Today I had a meeting at the RCBC Plaza along Buendia Avenue in Makati, and to my pleasant surprise, I was able to visit Hungry Hippo again!  Their burgers are a bit more expensive now (basic burgers start at P85), but the smell and taste are still as I can remember. Soft buns, with lettuce and tomatoes, freshly cooked, hot off the pan!  They also have a variety of other sandwiches--tuna, corned beef, club sandwiches that it seems that they have already evolved into a snack bar, great for a hungry hippo just like me!

No comments: