Friday, September 30, 2011

Cardinal Santos Medical Center

I have a lingering suspicion that it was the oysters that did me in.  Yes, at the height of typhoon Pedring, I managed to sneak in 4 oysters over lunch, and I now know that was a major mistake. I've been a regular visitor to the loo for the past 2 days, and I'm in pain... As I'm not much of a fan of anti-motility drugs (Imodium or Lormide, which is loperamide), I was trying to get hold of absorbents (Rheaban or Poly-Magma, which is attapulgite), only to be told by the lady in Mercury Drug that these are no longer being sold.  As I Googled the matter, it turns out that the USFDA had rejected the notion that attapulgite can effectively bind toxins and bacteria, thus questioning the efficacy of the drug.  Feeling depressed about the loss of a long-relied-upon drug, and upon Vicky's insistence, I gave in to the fact that my body constituency was steadily powering down.  With Kuya Noel's help, we went to the emergency room of the Cardinal Santos Medical Center (located along Wilson St., Greenhills, San Juan, and owned by the Roman Catholic Church) and I'm glad that both my blood work and stool exams turned out negative results.  I was pretty impressed with the staff's efficiency and the quality of patient care.  I was given intravenous hydration, and further prescribed some anti-spasmodic drugs and oral rehydration salts.  We were in at 9 am, and out by 11:30 am.  I understand that the management of this hospital is currently with the Makati Medical Center, and the changes that have been implemented by the new management seem to have made a good impact on the look and feel of the hospital.

No comments: